93 tune made no noticeable difference to anything

Installation and Usage Support
ASP0511

93 tune made no noticeable difference to anything

Post by ASP0511 »

Hello, I am very new to the Versatuner community so please be patient with my understanding :)

I purchased Versatuner Lite and this morning I flashed the 93 pops and crackles tune for my 2013 2.0 Mazda 3. I drove it for 20 miles like the program said and there is no noticeable difference in the pedal feel, pops, or power. I wondered if the tune was even applied so I did a pull up to 7,000 RPM to verify (stock rev limiter is 6,500)

Is anyone else experiencing this?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: 93 tune made no noticeable difference to anything

Post by mituc »

Flash it again, make sure it flashes.
The factory rev limiter is 6500rpm but on the dash you will see close to 7000rpm. The "error" is programmed into the cluster pretty much the same way as the speed. When you will read the RPM from the OBD2 port using the versatuner logging/dashboard you will see the real RPM and speed.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
ASP0511

Post by ASP0511 »

mituc wrote: April 20th, 2023, 7:47 am. When you will read the RPM from the OBD2 port using the versatuner logging/dashboard you will see the real RPM and speed.
I flashed it twice, but still no dice :/ I also made sure that the rpm was reading over 6500; it read like 6980 or something like that before it cut the fuel.

I don’t know what would cause this because the tune definitely changed the redline but there’s no other differences that I can tell.
CrazyCanadian

Post by CrazyCanadian »

Do a 20min drive logging factory... then on the same day, same road test loop do it with the 93 tune.. make sure you vary accell, some WOT and steady state driving... try and match each drive as close as possible..

Now you'll have some kind of proper data to see if there's been changes... Sometimes just cause you don't "feel" it doesn't mean there weren't changes made.. It's possible you're knock limited both stock and on the 93 tune.. maybe a mechanical issue... hard to say..
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

The conditions to get crackles and pops on SkyActiv platforms are these:
Load < 0.1666
RPM > 2250
APP > 0%
In gear you need to decell from fairly high rpm with the accel pedal just off the rest
In neutral, you need to rev to like 5k and hold the pedal off of the rest while revs come down

Crackles and pops are subtle on the stock exhaust.
If you can't get them in the above conditions, email us at [email protected] and we will ask you to record a data log that we can investigate.
With regard to power differences, please record a 3rd gear wide open throtle pull with stock tune and with VersaTuner tune applied on the same day in similar conditions (level road).
batizza

Post by batizza »

I have a similar experience.
I have a 2.0 Skyactiv petrol engine with manual transmission and flashed 93US/98EU pop/crackle tune.
I am using 98EU petrol, drove my car for 50km and when I try to get some pop from the exhaust absolutely nothing happens.
On the other hand, I think I can notice some difference in liveness and responsiveness of my car.
How can I get some pops?
Should I consider changing something in the map since I have a full license?
Last edited by batizza on March 27th, 2024, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

batizza wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:54 am I have a similar experience.
I have a 2.0 Skyactiv petrol engine with manual transmission and flashed 93US/98EU pop/crackle tune.
I am using 98EU petrol, drove my car for 50km and when I try to get some pop from the exhaust absolutely nothing happens.
On the other hand, I think I can notice some difference in liveness and responsiveness of my car.
How can I get some pops?
If you followed the instructions in my previous post and still get no crackles and pops, please contact our support at [email protected] and we will ask you to record some data logs.
i7even

Post by i7even »

batizza wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:54 am I have a similar experience.
How can I get some pops?
At first, I also thought the map from Versatune did not make any pop's but is nothing to do with the map but the user
This crackle-and-pop work like this
rev to 4 or 5k
then just press the pedal gently (just like touching)
but faster multiple times
And you will get this
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15_pGXQ ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15za5pB ... sp=sharing
batizza

Post by batizza »

great, thanks. I will try it the first chance I get.
As Ugnius said and on you video can be heard the pops are really subtle but still I want to play around with that.
Such a pity it is so hard to reproduce it and no one still could not figure out how to stop ECU from cutting off fuel when you lift your foot of the throttle.