Obdlink sx problem

Discussion of various J2534 Pass-Thru devices and Portable Computers.
Ianstattoos

Obdlink sx problem

Post by Ianstattoos »

I'm having alot of trouble connecting the obdlink sx to the car. All the drivers are updated and installed, I've done this quite a few times with no luck. I've tried using obdwiz and I'm also not connecting on there. Error says "connected to scan tool but not vehicle"

I've managed to connect it maybe twice out of alot of tries.

It's super frustrating, any help would be great.
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Re: Obdlink sx problem

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

Try using a different computer and do not install any drivers, just let Windows install them automatically. This check will eliminate driver issues.
If it still doesn't work, try a different car. There may be electrical issues with the OBD-II port (lose or oxidized contacts).
If nothing works, your OBDLink SX may be faulty.
Lgdesignllc

Post by Lgdesignllc »

I had the same issue two computers and the port seems fine when using my snap on scanner. Sending back the cable
wcs

Post by wcs »

Was having the same issue, here's how I fixed it.

My OBDII Port is fine. I literally just uninstalled the Cobb AP from the vehicle.

As others have mentioned, I tried using just the windows drivers (Windows 10 Enterprise Version 21H1 on a HP ZBook) and the LED on the OBDLink cable remain "red" and there seems to be no option in VT to select the Link cable.
I've also tried installing the OBDWiz application which of course doesn't work either.

So, did you try it on another computer you ask?
Well yes, yes I did. A Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 running as a VM on a Linux host machine and it works! Yellow LED.
However VT still doesn't recognize the USB Cable.
This Linux laptop running the Windows VM is a heavy SOB and I would rather not carry it around in the car.

Moving back to the HP Laptop (which I hate BTW if anyone is every looking at ZBook its a POS) I decided to install the Virtual Com Port Drivers from the following site.

https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/

And Instructions (which are rather detailed surprisingly)

https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads ... ows-10.pdf

And it worked!
Cable detected yellow LED running on COM4

VT recognized the USB cable and VT updated the firmware to version 4.5.1 ... sweet

Next step try to install VT on the ECU and success. Off to the races.

I'm a little curious why the VT on VM didn't recognize the cable but meh, I can mess with that on a rainy day.
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

Thank you for the tip, we will suggest it to other users who have issues with OBDLink SX cables.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

wcs wrote: June 24th, 2021, 10:37 pm I'm a little curious why the VT on VM didn't recognize the cable but meh, I can mess with that on a rainy day.
It depends on the virtualization technology used: VirtualBox, VMWare, XEN, something else? There's a chance the USB protocol implemented there is not compatible to whatever that obdlink adapter wants, or maybe there are some other options you need to enable on the virtualization framework. Some of them implement USB1 are probably there are some restrictions on the protocol side which doesn't let you to fully use the cable other than making it light a yellow light.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP