Supported Devices

Discussion of various J2534 Pass-Thru devices and Portable Computers.
ms6mil

Re: Supported Devices

Post by ms6mil »

Steve @ VersaTune wrote:Unfortunately not. I am looking into a way to make a Y cable to allow charging.
Edit - It looks like these cables are readily available on Amazon and Ebay.
Sorry to Necro the thread, but as I'm a recent VT convert, I want to make sure I have the right setup. I have asked around and guys currently using tablets with the micro USB & OTG cable for the Versalink are having issues with charging the tablet simultaneously during extended trips.

As far as I have seen, battery life can be anywhere from 5-7 hours (as they're advertised), if we are driving beyond this or not able to charge in between stops, at some point we will have to disconnect the Versalink thereby disconnect monitoring until the tablet is charged back up.

You mentioned a Y-cable to be used. has this been confirmed to work running VT while charging the tablet? are you referring to the y-cable (OTG's) that include Micro to female USB to Male USB? Any link for references.

It may not be a common problem for all, but if we are on a long trip to an event, or just on an extended drive for the day it would be awesome to know what configuration will work.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

-Rob
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

Hi Rob,
yes, you need a Y cable that would have a male micro USB to connect to the tablet, a female micro USB to connect to a charger and a female USB to connect to the VersaLink. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LTHBCNM/ref=cm_sw_su_dp
I've seen other users confirm that this method works.
Please note that you can also use Bluetooth for logging. Generic eBay ELM327 adapters are pretty slow (20-25 requests per second), but an OBDLink MX/LX offers up to 40-50 requests per second.
ms6mil

Post by ms6mil »

Ugnius @ VersaTune wrote:Hi Rob,
yes, you need a Y cable that would have a male micro USB to connect to the tablet, a female micro USB to connect to a charger and a female USB to connect to the VersaLink. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LTHBCNM/ref=cm_sw_su_dp
I've seen other users confirm that this method works.
Please note that you can also use Bluetooth for logging. Generic eBay ELM327 adapters are pretty slow (20-25 requests per second), but an OBDLink MX/LX offers up to 40-50 requests per second.
Thanks for the info. Exactly what I needed, very much appreciated.