Supported Devices

Discussion of various J2534 Pass-Thru devices and Portable Computers.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Supported Devices

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

I just got a HP Stream 7 Tablet - 5701today. I'll run out and grab a USB OTG cable in the morning and confirm that the VersaLink works off of it.

$99 USD direct from HP, or you can get it from the Microsoft store or on Amazon.

Add a $5 USD USB OTG adapter and it cant be beat!

Runs Windows 8 amazingly well.

Due to the screen size, I wouldn't recommend building a tune from scratch on it. It'll work in a pinch to tweak a table. It should work great for flashing and logging though.

More info to come.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Supported Devices

Post by mituc »

So one big advantage of the AP over VT is shading away more and more each day. :)
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Using a $3 USB On-The-Go cable to connect the VersaLink to the micro USB port, I was able to log and flash just fine. It might even be a bit faster than my Win7 VM on my i5 powered Dell E6430 laptop.

Logging

Flashing
Deldran

Post by Deldran »

Nice any reason this wouldn't work on any Windows 8 tablet, that is not RT.

I use my Lenovo ThinkPad yoga, which is great and portable with a keyboard
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

Deldran wrote:Nice any reason this wouldn't work on any Windows 8 tablet, that is not RT.

I use my Lenovo ThinkPad yoga, which is great and portable with a keyboard
HP Stream 7 tablet does NOT run Windows RT, it includes a full featured version of Windows 8.1
VersaTuner will not work with Windows RT, it needs "regular" Windows to work. It runs fine on any device that runs Windows XP to 8.1
We just wanted to find and test a cheap, but well specced tablet that we could recommend to people for logging and flashing in their cars.
If you already have a portable Windows device that you love - feel free to use it. In fact, you can install VT on as many PCs as you want, so you can have a copy installed on your desktop PC for log analysis and tune creation and have a tablet or laptop in the car for logging and flashing on the go.
And to be honest, I prefer the full color high resolution touchscreen of a tablet to the small pixelated screens of other embedded logging and flashing devices.
Deldran

Post by Deldran »

Sorry that is what I meant as it should work on any Windows tablet that us NOT running windows RT.
mazdakaps

Post by mazdakaps »

The device can also charged from the obd?
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Unfortunately not. I am looking into a way to make a Y cable to allow charging.
Edit - It looks like these cables are readily available on Amazon and Ebay.
mazdakaps

Post by mazdakaps »

i was just thinking that 7" are a bit large for my taste can another device work? I found on 5" or 4" the nokia lumia with windows 8.1. I wonder if that could work
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

No, those phones won't work. You need Windows operating system, not Windows Phone. 7" is actually not that big, most OEM in-car navigation/entertainmenet displays are 7". It would be really hard to use VersaTuner on a smaller screen as it is not optimized for phone resolutions at the moment.