daily driving issues (with forged gtx2867r)

Discussion of tuning specific to CX-7 vehicles
pankrok

Re: daily driving issues (with forged gtx2867r)

Post by pankrok »

You are right about map (3bar using) and refresh rate but these readings I get on daily driving when I cannot use the laptop (no time to plug , not possible to carry or got passenger who does not want it on his legs etc) I don't have time to log properly and just using torque get indications.
I have few screens set with minimum amount of dials so refresh rate is decent.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The refresh rate seems to be decent because it's in the range of 0.8-1.2 seconds, so it can foul the eye. Otherwise in case of fast changing conditions (going WOT, spool up, and so on) that is totally useless. In the situations where the ELM is useful is low load, that for that it doesn't really matter what turbo you have, what fuel pump, exhaust, and so on, because that engine will run similarly (not identically though) like its NA version. Best case an ELM can help you identify a very obvious issue which can be visible in the logs for a large amount of time (several seconds).

With all these parts on the car if you can't decide to dedicate your car, logging and tuning a bit of time it will never perform at its full potential. And it's the same for quick dyno tunes which tend to be a little superficial because they don't address all the aspects you can come across with during street tuning. And in absolutely no situation logs taken with an ELM should be used to adjust your tune.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
pankrok

Post by pankrok »

Elm logs of course are useless for tuning.
If you keep 4 instruments per screen you get a decent 4hz refresh rate.

I m using torque as active instrument for observation not for logging . It is also helping identify problems in others than wot runs which if you want to solve it can help you to find a way to repeat them while logging with versa.

We are not talking about different things .

Today found some time to log properly few events with versa but I just have no time to read them.

By the way if I record vtc angle does this means that i record the result or the intention? Vtc is changing as expected in the log but if this is just the order to the camshaft how can I see that it is actually changing?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Not sure what "vtc angle" is, but if it's the "Actual Valve Timing" then it's an actual value.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
pankrok

Post by pankrok »

Good to hear ,then my vt is working properly
pankrok

Post by pankrok »

small updates

a) checked exhaust, it was hanging loose, so loose that gave me heart attack recently as during a wot passage i heard it vibrating on the subframe (but it sounded also like a broken transfer case) . anyway that seamed to be causing some false knocking too
b) changed some part of the damping and now knocking at 1600 is less disturbing
c) made few logs , few changes , worked on load maps, maf cal and ignition (open and closed)

i know have smoother operation all the way from idle to 7000+ , great power on daily loads , very appealing fuel economy and eventually got rid of the 5000+ knocking and reached again the 350whp (vdyno) with far from ideal boost controlling.
car is pulling to the end , I got 4.5V on the 3.5" maf .
maf cal is not ideal , but before change it I will try to log few more times (back in business Mituc!)

I m asking for 11.9 afr I getting not exactly the target but remains safe so I will continue logging to see if this was due to maf calibration or other reason.
15sep16.csv
vdyno compatible log
(8.75 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
dyno15sep16.jpg
dyno15sep16.jpg (49.62 KiB) Viewed 15352 times
15sep16.zip
versa log
(12.17 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Glad to hear that things are moving forward! Thanks to Mituc for the assist!
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The logs look impressively good! Congrats!

However, on only pump gas with no aux fuelling I think at this AFR (11.7 ish) and this air flow (370+ g/s, even 380 some times) you may be a bit over 100% Inj DC. Next time you take a log also add injector duty cycle in the logs, the later Versatuner will allow more than just 12 PIDs. The IDC may be the reason why the AFRs fluctuate between 11.1 and 12.15 above 6000rpm where you most likely max out the factory fuelling system.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
pankrok

Post by pankrok »

There is injector duty cycle logged in this.
It was less than 90% so there is still fuel to come up to 95% where I set the limit.

My maf housing is hand made and in 88mm internal diameter there is a honeycomb just before maf sensor. The problem is that due to space limitations the air filter need an 90deg elbow to connect there so calibration has some mistakes above 4v and also lower in the 1.5 v range.

I could not advance more . It is due to engine condition I tend to believe uneven cylinder charging or even external noises .
I also did not control pressure so efficient in the high range, should I be keeping steady 1.6 bar above 5000 and 1.7 lower with some ignition adjustment I could have a more impressive outcome.
The 380 grams are not correct. With less than 1.6 bar the compressor cannot push this amount of air according garret maps so I believe calibration is to blame for the 11.1 afr
However I prefer to log commanded afr too in order to verify the difference.

About the more than 12 parameters there a sampling rate problem . As it is know the refresh rate is about 0.2 secs which is already in the limit. In my opinion once the logs start looking identical, parameters should be logged in no more than 6 or 7 per time .

There is a feature I want to request. The logging through a laptop is not so convenient. An interface like torque in android or windows platform that will use either the USB versalink or a decent bt device like the mx/lx would allow safe logging without having to carry the laptop everytime. Also the preseting of the dash similar to torque (sliding between screens ) will be very helpful.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Logging with bluetooth is supported with VersaTuner on Windows platforms. The PID rate is quite a bit slower with bluetooth though. We are working on a better solution. A cheap Windows tablet is a good solution for now.