HPFP Internals and intake

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED6/MAZDASPEED Atenza/Mazda 6 MPS vehicles
mteogr

HPFP Internals and intake

Post by mteogr »

Hello everyone.
I want to purchase versatune but I need some help with hpfp and intake.
I see most of you using autotech internals but corksport supposed to be better in theory. Which one is better?
Also I want to ask you if it is better to choose a 3 inch or 3.5 inch intake for stock turbo.
Thank you.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: HPFP Internals and intake

Post by mituc »

Corksport, Autotech, VIS. Take any of these, you will be good.

For the intake my recommendation is to go with the JBR Tru-3" - the silicone version. I see you have a speed6 or 6MPS so you may not run into any space issues under the hood, but with the silicone version you will definitely not have to relocate anything (ECU, battery, and so on).

If you feel like relocating the ECU and battery or using a smaller battery is not an issue then get a larger one. Just check with JBR and see if you need to do any of these with their 3.5" silicone.

To get better results you will need an upgraded TMIC and use higher flowing cats. With 2 Magnaflow 59956 that I've got in my UR downpipe and in the Unicorn-one-of-a-kind Mazdaspeed3 resonated AND catted downpipe also from UR (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f ... rn-214069/) I was sent home from the operator when I went for an off-the-record smog test, because he was feeling like I'm trolling him. With these two cats and full 3" exhaust the car met euro5 emissions standards even if the car is rated as euro4, and with an ACEA C2/C3 or A5/B5 oil I could even aim for euro6.

So think wise when you make these changes, you don't throw money on them every week but more like once for good (if you do them right).
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
mteogr

Post by mteogr »

Thank you very much mituc for the reply.
I was thinking going decat.
Is it better with catted downpipe?
I prefer aluminum intake.
I don't like silicone intakes much but I don't know if are better or not.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

De-cat is going to help if you're making a ton of power compared to catted with the right catalythic converters. With the factory turbo though the difference will not be that big if you chose the right cats. If in-cabin sound and emissions are not a big problem in your area then go de-cat. Otherwise there are very good catted solutions which will set you back less than 5whp on a factory turbo.

Aluminium versus silicone intake is just a matter of preference. The internal diameter is the only thing that gives the amount of air that goes through that pipe at a certain velocity and suction force.
The aluminium intakes are also louder and more rigid, the silicone intakes are a tad quieter and easier to work with.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
mteogr

Post by mteogr »

Is any real difference between the upgraded TMIC ?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Comparing with the stock TMIC the difference is 1.5 to 3PSI on the stock turbo for the same wastegate duty cycle. I find this significant...
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
mteogr

Post by mteogr »

I mean if I compare for example ETS TMIC with CPE TMIC.
Is any difference in logs between those 2?
Also what the advantages if I use an aftermarket ebcs in 2 port mode?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Some say there's not a significant difference between the two, at least not a $300 difference. This is a very good read:
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f ... er-131840/

I think the main advantage comes from 3 port EBCSs used in interrupt/3 port mode. The bleed mode will work pretty much like the OEM setup and it's possible that you may gain marginally more boost, but not as much as you'd get in a 3 port setup.
Just cut that hose between the turbo housing and the wastegate actuator and configure that thing in 3 port mode.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
mteogr

Post by mteogr »

Is any advantage if you replace the stock boost controller solenoid with a electonic boost controller like hks evc6 ?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The factory boost controller is already electronically controlled. So unless you need to move to a more elevated setup with a 3 port interrupt instead of the factory 2 port bleed mode then you're ok with the stock EBCS.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7